Thursday, September 3, 2015

5 Things I Miss about Going to an Office

It's been three, almost four, years since I dropped out of the "rat race" and settled down quietly into the confines of home. Deciding on giving it all up (as if there was that much to give up---there wasn't) came really easy for me. There was no other option. I had to. The pay was better, I would be able to look after my son, and I'd have the freedom to go back and forth the little town where we used to live and wherever I wanted to go (although I truly am too lazy to ~travel~ like everyone else).

For the last three years, I've been comfortable. I've accomplished much because I stay at home. Although, sometimes---recently, it's been most of the time---I feel lonely. My son goes to school the entire day, my husband goes to work too. So I am left alone most of the day, and it gets boring.




Here are the 5 things I miss about going to an office.

1. Actual people-to-people interaction

I'm the chatty type. And by that, I don't mean I CHAT a lot online (well, I do chat a lot online). What I mean is, I like talking to people. I like sharing ideas, thoughts, and whatever. I like to throw jokes and hear them too. I like laughing.  

Although the hubs and I talk to each other a lot and he provides me with the entertainment I need, it still is different when shared with people who aren't family. My friends are either working overseas or busy with their own lives, so I rarely get to hang out with them. It's lonely at times, but what are you gonna do about it?

2. Rushing in the morning

Don't get me wrong, I love chill, laid-back mornings like a normal person does. It's just that sometimes, I get the feeling that I'm too much of a slob. I miss having to choose what to wear for work. The hubs has this joke of him preparing my uniforms for work (which are just oversized, tattered white shirts that are comfy AF I wouldn't trade them for anything!)

I do rush in the morning to prep Yuri for school, but it's different when you're prepping YOURSELF. I miss that.

3. The commute

This one, not so much. But just the thought of getting my butt off this chair and out into the world presents a somewhat nostalgic feeling of the days when I used to 04C my way to Mango Av just to catch the morning shuttle to Blueblade. I miss rubbing elbows (literally) with jaded working-class Filipinos too. Makes you feel alive, don't you think?

4. After-work hangouts

So the main focus here is on how I miss being around other people. I sort of feel a longing for those end-of-the-day chill-outs. I can't say it enough: I miss actual interaction with people. I feel like a caveman (and yes, I also do have an appetite of a caveman).

5. Sunshine and the polluted air of the metro

Friends who haven't seen me in a long time often compliment my fair skin. "Uy ka puti na nimu!" And I'm like, "yeah, thanks." I mean, I've worked hard to get a fairer complexion, Lord knows what I've done to be puti. But this time, I've been slacking off, and the only thing I rely on keeping my skin color the way it is is by not going out. 

So yes, this fair skin you see is just a result of not being subjected to any external factors that may darken it. I miss the sunshine and asthma-inducing air though. 

***
For anyone who has worked from home, I know you've all been through those lonely and boring moments. But then, I am perfectly happy and content where I am. I get the freedom to choose what to do and when to do it (even when I actually don't because deadlines just keep pouring in). Best of all, I get to spend time with my son while he is growing up. I'm not sure if he'll turn out to be as planned, but I am hopeful.

What do you miss about working in an actual office? What do you like about working from home? I'm making a list of the things I love about being a WFH mom for my next post. :)