Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Whatever Wednesday | Should I Go Back to Work?


It's Wednesday, baby, and I'm alive! Lucky to make it through midweek.

So on to the matter at hand... I've recently been subjected to the dilemma of whether or not I should go back to work at an actual office. I mean, I've never stopped working because a) I will die of boredom if I do nothing and b) I will die of poverty because ca$h makes the world go 'round. But really, I've been thinking about going back to work. Well, I did take an exam yesterday for a position at a publishing company. Not confident, but no harm in trying, right?



So here's a quick infographic comparing working from home versus working in an actual office:


Working from Home

PROs


  • No commute + no lunch-outs = $avings
           True story. I can go for three days with only fifty pesos in my pocket. Sometimes I don't even need to spend that. I don't need to commute, which saves me of the fare (and agony of having to do so); I don't need to eat lunch outside of the house (although when I get bored, I go out and #katkat); I don't need to buy snacks too. 

          Plus, I don't feel the pressure of constantly buying new clothes to wear to the office. Why would I when I have the most comfortable oversized white shirts evarrrr?

  • I own my time
          This has proven to be one of the best perks of working from home. I get to manage my own time. I can go run out on an errand in the middle of the day or take a nap or fetch Yuri or do household chores. 
          
          This doesn't go without its down sides though. With this, I tend to slack and then kill myself while trying to catch up.  So it's really important that you know how to set priorities and stay away from YouTube.


CONs

  • Clients can be demanding
          When you take on a client, he/she expects you to be his assistant 24/7 and drop your life for his/her business. Of course this isn't true for all because I have two really amazing clients that are just over-the-top kind and generous; but once in a while, in struts that Miranda Priestly of your life. They pound you to death with deadlines and even when you've delivered, they're still frustrated. #bummer

        And of course, when it comes to payment. Ahhhh, the glorious invoices that you send which oftentimes get ignored. Then you'd have to remind and remind and remind and NAG about your pay because you're dirt poor and hungry.

  • No pertinent papers, certificates, etc.
        We all reach that point in adulthood where there is a need for evidence of our wealth and riches; evidence that you can slap in the face of banks and real estate agents and whoever. Unless you are some big-time business person who makes gazillions of moolah each year, and have the bank statements and assets to prove that, then you can go live happily without having to gather up payslips and stuff. But a commoner like me needs paper stuff that I can use to prove that I am a person who makes money, no matter how measly. 

Working in an Office

PROs

  • Benefits. Insurance. Stable income.
        SSS, Philhealth, insurance- I have these three. But you know how it is when you're an individually paying member.. You tend to forget to pay your dues because these stuff, they don't seem to be as major as utility bills, phone bills, INTERNET (the staple of my life), and groceries. But when you really think about it, they are major major. I need to get a steady, nevertheless slow, stream of insurance that will back me up if something untoward happens. Not that I'm praying, but it helps to be safe... and sane.

        It also keeps you sane to know that twice a month you will get paid. Right now, I'm paid weekly. It's good. It works well for me. But sometimes, my client goes on holiday and I am forgotten. So you see the struggle there?

  • Free A/C. Interaction with other people. Christmas parties.
        Aircon all day, and I wouldn't have to worry about my electric bills! Ha! Yes, this is a major this for me so shut up! 

         Interaction. It was really good seeing other people yesterday and being able to talk because I am lonely AF here at home. And because I need to face people every day, I would then need to dress up and prettify myself- which I have been missing! I don't know how long I can tolerate being around others though. Given my adult ADD, I'd say two to three months. 

         Christmas parties. Halloween parties. And other parties. Because I'm a party animal like that. NOT.


CONs


  • I will no longer own my time. 
            This has been what has kept me from pursuing the office thing, and the reason why I've spent three years at home. I love handling my own time. I love being around my family a lot. I love staying at home. If I go back to work, I would then be subjected to clock-ins, leave applications, and stuff like that. But meh, that's life.

  • Potential coworker conflict
         I know this is super negative, but really, it could happen. I mean, I'm likeable and pretty charming so nobody hates me (ha! But they hate my guts); but you can't really avoid issues in the workplace. I am a big fan of gossip, and this might get me into trouble. Although... I've practiced the art of IDGAF, so yeah, I think I'd survive.


So tell me what you think: should I go back to work in an office or should I just stay home?